Thread: "2008 Honda DN-01 Hydraulic Transmission Motorcycle

"2008 Honda DN-01 Hydraulic Transmission Motorcycle

Sales of the Honda DN-01 large sports cruiser will begin in Japan on Friday, March 7, 2008.

Overall profile
    The unique, low-styling body features a powerful liquid-cooled four-stroke 680 cc OHC V-twin engine a new automatic transmission, the Human-Friendly Transmission (HFT), that delivers superior throttle response for comfort even on long rides, and simple operation with no need for clutch use, although manual gear shifting is also available, allowing sporty riding.

Featuring Honda's innovative lockup-equipped, infinitely variable hydraulic mechanical transmission (see our article "Honda introduces the Human-Friendly Transmission"), the HFT is claimed to deliver superb throttle response and a direct drive feel.

Honda said that the remarkable HFT transmission makes the DN-01 easy to operate, while providing the sporty ride quality that is an intrinsic part of motorcycles. In short, the DN-01 offers totally new sensations in sports riding unheard of in conventional sports models. The relatively low 690 mm seat height offers a relaxed riding position, along with a comfortable passenger seat. Ownership satisfaction comes from the elegant styling and the overall high-quality fit and finish and the smooth performance characteristics. The DN-01 is a sports cruiser aimed at the discriminating and mature rider.

Since being shown as a concept model at the 2005 Tokyo Motor Show, Honda have been working toward the market launch of the DN-01. These efforts culminating in the machine being shown at the 2007 Tokyo Motor Show as a production item.

The DN-01 was developed as a large sports cruiser based on a new concept, equipped with distinctive hydraulic transmission, which is based on the automatic transmission in the 1962 Juno M85 and features characteristics optimal for a production machine, thanks to continuous development and advances in electronic control technology.

Key Features
    Powertrain - The liquid-cooled four-stroke 680 cc OHC V-twin engine featured in the DN-01 demonstrates powerful and flat torque characteristics in both the low-rpm range and high-rpm range, realizing smooth and easy revving. A superb symbiosis with the new HFT realizes a comfortable ride feel.

A single-sided swingarm (Pro-Arm), long used in the Goldwing and VFR, and a maintenance-free shaft drive with superior durability and quietness have been adopted for the drivetrain.

The DN-01 design also takes vibration resistance into account with a full rubber mount for the engine. For environmental performance, the DN-01 conforms with the 2007 exhaust emissions standards in Japan with an electronic fuel injection system (PGM-FI*1) and a catalyst device (catalyzer).

Automatic Transmission
    An infinitely variable hydraulic mechanical transmission, the HFT (Human Friendly Transmission) has achieved a lightweight and compact configuration required for motorcycles. Compared with the V-belt automatic transmission, more usually seen on Buells and scooters, this automatic transmission unit can be stored within the engine crankcase, thus increasing the level of design freedom in the body layout.

The HFT responds to a wide variety of rider demands, from easy-to-operate, comfortable, riding to a sporty and nimble ride quality with a direct response to accelerator operation, due to the hydraulics and computer control. In addition to two fully automatic shifting modes -- D mode to cover ordinary riding and S mode for a sportier riding experience -- the HFT features a six-speed manual mode, which allows riding with a more usual manual transmission.

Moreover, the HFT equips the world's first lockup mechanism (according to a Honda survey) for an infinitely variable hydraulic mechanical transmission, contributing to improved fuel economy during cruising.

Design
    From the "Low & Long + Modern Organic Body" design concept comes a truly individualistic style. The long-nosed front cowl incorporates dual projector headlights with an overall sharply imaged front profile.

The integrated muffler and the Pro-Arm swingarm supporting the rear wheel on one side give the rear a simple look. The ten-spoke 17-inch wheels, accent the machine's functional beauty and unique sense of style. The instrument panel design combines luxurious LCD and white LED to give improved visibility.

Brake System
    The Combined ABS, which is a combination of the Combined Brake System and the Anti-lock Brake System (ABS), fitted to the DN-01 delivers powerful and dependable braking performance.

The three-pot front brake calipers provide strong braking control, together with a foot operated rear brake. And with such features as a parking brake for convenient parking on hilly roads, the DN-01 provides a full range of functionality for a feeling of security.

Chassis and Bodywork
    Mass Centralization and a lower center of gravity, together with an ideal front and rear weight distribution, ensure responsive handling even with the long 1,610 mm wheelbase. Large adjustable foot step boards and a low 690 mm seat height make for a spacious and comfortable riding position, giving the rider the most freedom of movement as possible.

There is also plenty of room for a passenger on the wide and long seat. Moreover, passenger and rider seats are close coupled and the well thought out layout provides excellent forward visibility.

Does it light your fire?

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Re: "2008 Honda DN-01 Hydraulic Transmission Motorcycle

Aprilia also has a new automatic bike (the Mana, I think) coming out this year. I do not dig this idea at all. I believe it will bring into the ranks of motorcycling people who ought not to be riding. If you can't shift/handle a clutch - or don't want to - then maybe a car is more appropriate.

DonTom

"Does it light your fire?"

Nope. Those who ride bikes like to do things themselves. I even want control of the choke! BTW, have they started to put automatic chokes in any bikes yet? Or are most of the bikes today EFI?

By newest bike is my 2002 DR200SE (bought in 2003). It has a manual choke.

-Don-

Quote Originally Posted by DonTom

Nope. Those who ride bikes like to do things themselves. I even want control of the choke! BTW, have they started to put automatic chokes in any bikes yet? Or are most of the bikes today EFI?

-Don-

Same here!

Most new bikes are EFI - esp. sport bikes.

One more reason I like my ZRX1200....!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric

-Don-

Same here!

I don't have any particular views on auto vs manual choke, manual ignition advance/retard or even auto vs manual transmision. Each is a derivative of a particular line of engine management and vehicle development. I love my CBR6RR for its handling and performance, I'm not going to denigrate it because it has EFI and consequently (effectively) auto choke. On the other hand if I fancied a long lazy ride through the countryside then, perhaps, the DN-01 might satisfy that feeling, as might any one of several other cruisers. There are times when the smooth power and relaxed riding postion of a Bandit 1200 would appeal, other times when the agricultural H-D range would hit the spot. Carwise I drive an auto, EFI, Carina SE, I can drive a four/five on the floor and sometimes do, but not from choice. A car is just a necessary (and comfortable) means of getting me and mine from A to B, no more, no less and I find it difficult to get excited over most things on four wheels. Ariel Atom, Lotus Seven/Elise, Radical, something like those for track use though, yes I could get very interested there.

Ken.

Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken

-Don-

Same here!

I don't have any particular views on auto vs manual choke, manual ignition advance/retard or even auto vs manual transmision. Each is a derivative of a particular line of engine management and vehicle development. I love my CBR6RR for its handling and performance, I'm not going to denigrate it because it has EFI and consequently (effectively) auto choke. On the other hand if I fancied a long lazy ride through the countryside then, perhaps, the DN-01 might satisfy that feeling, as might any one of several other cruisers. There are times when the smooth power and relaxed riding postion of a Bandit 1200 would appeal, other times when the agricultural H-D range would hit the spot. Carwise I drive an auto, EFI, Carina SE, I can drive a four/five on the floor and sometimes do, but not from choice. A car is just a necessary (and comfortable) means of getting me and mine from A to B, no more, no less and I find it difficult to get excited over most things on four wheels. Ariel Atom, Lotus Seven/Elise, Radical, something like those for track use though, yes I could get very interested there.

Ken.

Yes - different bikes for different riders (and rides)!

But the one thing that concerns me about an automatic bike is that such things may draw in more people who really should not be riding motorcycles at all. Right now, it takes at least a modicum of skill/coordination to ride a bike; the manual transmission is a deterrent to what you might call the moron class - just as it is with cars that do not offer an automatic.

I am very leery of "new technologies" that aren't so much about making the bike faster or handle better - but are about idiot proofing them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken

-Don-

Same here!

Ken.

Yes - different bikes for different riders (and rides)!

But the one thing that concerns me about an automatic bike is that such things may draw in more people who really should not be riding motorcycles at all. Right now, it takes at least a modicum of skill/coordination to ride a bike; the manual transmission is a deterrent to what you might call the moron class - just as it is with cars that do not offer an automatic.

I am very leery of "new technologies" that aren't so much about making the bike faster or handle better - but are about idiot proofing them.
    I see your point, Eric, but looking at the other side of the coin auto transmission might tempt more people onto two wheels. Auto or no, I think that the more 'cagers' that get introduced to two wheels the better. Hopefully they would very soon realise that there is far more to two wheels than just twisting the right wrist (Those that don't would either not last very long or would soon give up.) On most modern bikes one doesn't even need to use the clutch for upshifting anyway and only the lightest touch is needed for downshifting so it is almost semi-auto anyway.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.