Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why you should not eat McDonalds or Fast Food.

Why you should not eat McDonalds or Fast Food.

After watching this do you still want a Big Mac?

Re: Why you should not eat McDonalds or Fast Food.

There was a bonus feature on the "Supersize Me" DVD where he put some fast food in glass jars. After several months, the burgers, etc. had nasty grey fungus on them, but the fries looked like they had just come out of the fryer.

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

Chip,

I forgot about that outake on the Supersize Me DVD, I found it on youtube so others can see glass jar McDonald's test:

And here's another test:

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Man, that is foul -

I probably still have some fries in me from the summer of '86.... but glad I stopped eating that McShit years ago!

Quite terrifying.

In NZ we have full social security and I'm gonna have to pay for all the damage.

But hey, America is the Land of the Free, so people are allowed to sell this food!

Quote Originally Posted by robmcg
    Quite terrifying.

In NZ we have full social security and I'm gonna have to pay for all the damage.

But hey, America is the Land of the Free, so people are allowed to sell this food!
    I stopped eating this stuff years ago, thank god.

But when I was a kid... I was a fast food junkie. My arteries are probably plastered...

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    when I was a kid... I was a fast food junkie. My arteries are probably plastered...
    I think a lot of the effects of junk food are reversible.

when I was a kid... I was a fast food junkie. My arteries are probably plastered...
    But does it matter?

If one must be serious, I understand that virtually all of the ill effects are reversible with a proper diet. 'Proper' equals not fun in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by jdm
    But does it matter?

If one must be serious, I understand that virtually all of the ill effects are reversible with a proper diet. 'Proper' equals not fun in this case.
    It's not just for health reasons that I don't eat there anymore; the food is pretty shitty, too. McDonald's is the slums of fast food.

I don't avoid fast food on principle. I just rarely buy it since it's usually misnamed. I've gotten just as fast a service in a sit down restaurant as one I have to stand and carry it myself. Plus, it usually doesn't cost much more at a full service eatery. I almost never go into McDonalds as I feel like I'm just a cog in their money machine. I rarely eat cheese and never on my burgers. However, if you buy a quarter pounder, it is with cheese. If you ask them to make it without cheese, they act like it's an imposition and you still have to pay for what you don't get.

Then again, I refuse to go through the self serve lane at the store. This was only done to cut down on the number of people working there. I will not do something to cost someone their job. I've noticed several stores are now going away from the self serve since it's costing them around 30% in lost impulse sales. I personally don't make that many impulse sales standing in line. However, that single parent may not be able to get by without that job, regardless of how low paying it is. >
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

"Then again, I refuse to go through the self serve lane at the store. This was only done to cut down on the number of people working there. "

Amen.

Even more egregious, they get rid of people's jobs while not even lowering the price of the product. For example, at the supermarket, one does not get a discount for "self checkout." So why should I do the work of ringing up/packaging my own stuff?

It's on outrage.

I wish more Americans would wake up to the predatory practices being foisted off on us...

Quote Originally Posted by grouch

I don't avoid fast food on principle. I just rarely buy it since it's usually misnamed. I've gotten just as fast a service in a sit down restaurant as one I have to stand and carry it myself. Plus, it usually doesn't cost much more at a full service eatery. I almost never go into McDonalds as I feel like I'm just a cog in their money machine. I rarely eat cheese and never on my burgers. However, if you buy a quarter pounder, it is with cheese. If you ask them to make it without cheese, they act like it's an imposition and you still have to pay for what you don't get.

Then again, I refuse to go through the self serve lane at the store. This was only done to cut down on the number of people working there. I will not do something to cost someone their job. I've noticed several stores are now going away from the self serve since it's costing them around 30% in lost impulse sales. I personally don't make that many impulse sales standing in line. However, that single parent may not be able to get by without that job, regardless of how low paying it is. >
    Mickey D has self serve lines like a cafeteria? All new to me, I generally do not go into that kind of place unless on the road. I'm running down to NC this weekend and will check one out.

I think he's talking about the self-checkout at the supermarket.

I don't like them either -- They're usually set up so you have to wait for the stupid things to finish their voice prompt, so it takes me longer than I wait.

No, I don't have any coupons.
    No, I don't have any items under my cart.
    Yes, I'd like to pay cash.
    Just spit out the damned receipt already.

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

DonTom

All that is shown here is that the preservatives used in hamburgers work very well. I have seen no evidence here that it's unhealthy.

-Don-

Quote Originally Posted by DonTom
    All that is shown here is that the preservatives used in hamburgers work very well. I have seen no evidence here that it's unhealthy.

-Don-

Maybe - but I'd be surprised if consuming high amounts of preservatives is a good idea. Hasn't that been linked with cancer? I'd rather not self-embalm, in any case!

Quote Originally Posted by chiph
    I think he's talking about the self-checkout at the supermarket.
    There is no self-help in my neighborhood but I've seen and tried to use it elsewhere. A huge pain and absent some kind of a credit, I'll stick with the regular lines.

Home Depot and such have self check, too, but I usually have only one or two items so the thought process is not that difficult.

Maybe - but I'd be surprised if consuming high amounts of preservatives is a good idea. Hasn't that been linked with cancer? I'd rather not self-embalm, in any case!
    I'd like to see a comparison with a fried hamburger and fries made with the best, fresh ingredients.

DonTom

"Maybe - but I'd be surprised if consuming high amounts of preservatives is a good idea. Hasn't that been linked with cancer?"

What has NOT been linked to cancer? They say now that working a night shift (like I do) can lead to cancer:

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/ma...ticlekey=85584

I guess they ran out of foods to test. They all cause cancer.

IMAO, if they do a test on drinking distilled water, it will show as likely to cause cancer.

BTW, would you rather eat the old hamburger without the preservatives?

-Don-

"BTW, would you rather eat the old hamburger without the preservatives?"

I'd rather - and do - eat fresh beef that doesn't require preservatives..... we get our steaks, hamburger, etc. from a local farmer just up the road (Bright's Beef; the meat is the best I have ever had).