Thread: More reason to hate Republicans at least as much as Democrats

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

More reason to hate Republicans at least as much as Democrats

Still think Republicans are in favor of "less government"?

That may have been true when Ronald Reagan led the party, but his legacy has been turned upside down and inside out by today's Republicans - who are as brazen in their advocacy of the use of state power for good purposes (as defined by them) as any Carter-era liberal.

Only it's worse because it's a betrayal. You expect smothering statism from liberal Democrats; at least give them credit for being above board about it. But when it comes from a Republican (and often, one who touts his or her "conservative "credentials) it's like getting cold-cocked by a friend. You're defenses are down; you don't see it coming.

And thus, it hurts even more.

In Connecticut, for example, Republican Governor Jodi Rell supports the use of automated speed enforcement cameras on highways; "safety" is the mantra - but the reality is the governor sees a way to fund the state government without having to come out in favor of an overt tax increase. She - like Republican politicians in Virginia, who saddled "abusive driver" fees on motorists convicted of ordinary traffic offenses - figures the dumbos out there are too stupid to understand that a tax is a tax is a tax, whether it's called one or not. The bottom line is, pay up!

Remember when Republicans opposed this kind of crap?

Then there's Utah - about as GOP a state as there is. And yet, the state senate has adopted a bill that would erect a Stasi-like system of informing on one's fellow motorists - for whatever reason, legitimate or not. If the bill becomes law, anyone could phone in a "tip" to the authorities that another motorist presented an "imminent threat to driving safety." The state motor vehicle authorities could then use these tips as the basis for dragooning the motorist in for a battery of tests and evaluations, including (no kidding) a mental fitness test, as well as medical testing and forced re-taking of the driver's test, etc.

All on the basis of an anonymous call.

Think about this. You pass by a senile old coot driving 54 mph in the left lane - and the vengeful oldster reports you for "unsafe driving." To him, you are a reckless speeder. But in the past, all he could do was shake his bony wrist (slowly) and mutter angrily to himself. Now, he can have his revenge. So, too, can every saaaafety-obsessed "mom" - or anyone else who wants to make your life miserable, whether you were actually doing anything questionable or not.

Guess who the bill's author is? Republican State Senator Allen Christensen.

Probably, he thinks he is doing this for "the children." More likely, he's just as cynical, corrupt and power-hungry as the "liberals" he fulminates against come election season.

Just like the Republicans in Congress who gave us the "Patriot" Act, Homeland Security and the federal REAL ID Act - which will impose a national ID system on the American people little different from the "your papers, please" regime that (we thought, we hoped) had disappeared forever with the fall of the Berlin Wall and the crumbling of the old Soviet Union.

Wishful thinking.

How did we get to this awful juncture? And what has become of Republicanism that its official representative can openly advocate measures that, in better times (and during the Reagan Years) would have caused them to be excommunicated from the party?

The ugly truth of the matter is that we now have two authoritarian parties vying for power. And that is what both parties want - power. Over you and me and everyone they can get their hands on. The reasons no longer matter much - only the effects. And the bottom line is we (that is, those of us who still believe in ancient notions of limited government, personal accountability and individual freedom) no longer have a dog in this fight - either as motorists or citizens. Democrat or Republican - they've got us coming and going.

The "choice" we have is not much different than the choice of lethal injection vs. the gas chamber offered to the condemned.

In the end, we're just as dead.

Re: More reason to hate Republicans at least as much as Democrats

Just posted this article on the main site:

http://www.ericpetersautos.com/home/...8&Itemid=10849

And this year is no different than those of the past. Maybe it's time that before any goverment elected officail can give themselfs a pay raise, it should go before the people for their approval... Ya lets vote on that.... just a thought ;D.

Quote Originally Posted by J. ZIMM
    And this year is no different than those of the past. Maybe it's time that before any goverment elected officail can give themselfs a pay raise, it should go before the people for their approval... Ya lets vote on that.... just a thought ;D.
    I'm ready for la revolucion... seriously.

If it comes - as I am convinced it will - I'd like it to happen while I am still young enough to be involved.... ;D

D_E_Davis

And this year is no different than those of the past. Maybe it's time that before any goverment elected officail can give themselfs a pay raise, it should go before the people for their approval... Ya lets vote on that.... just a thought.
    But that's a double-edged sword. Here the state legislators get $25,000/year, and so the state house is populated by attorneys and real-estate salesmen. Naturally their output is pretty poor. Three times in the past 10 years voters have rejected ballot measures to raise the compensation for state legislators, so we are stuck with the same kind of low-class clowns we have had.

I'm ready as well. I've been saying that we should have a revolution against taxes, wage war on the pay raises and perks that our government gives themselves. That has been on my fuzzy little mind for the past forty, fifty years. Its to the point it doesn't make any nevermind who you vote for. They all seem to fall into the same rut we have been dealt with from years past. There should be a law or resolution to the fact that if a politicians(?) fails to do as they had promised, then they should be sued, removed from their elected office, lose all perks, and have to find an honest job like the rest of us, and work for their Medicare A, B,D, SSI, and have to pay for those like the rest of us.I'm not worried about the crook down the street, I 've got his number, Its the crooked morons back in DC. >

I'm ready as well. I've been saying that we should have a revolution against taxes, wage war on the pay raises and perks that our government gives themselves. That has been on my fuzzy little mind for the past forty, fifty years. Its to the point it doesn't make any nevermind who you vote for. They all seem to fall into the same rut we have been dealt with from years past. There should be a law or resolution to the fact that if a politicians(?) fails to do as they had promised, then they should be sued, removed from their elected office, lose all perks, and have to find an honest job like the rest of us, and work for their Medicare A, B,D, SSI, and have to pay for those like the rest of us.I'm not worried about the crook down the street, I 've got his number, Its the crooked morons back in DC. >
    Yes. Me also.

It is because the Contitution hasn't been in effect for a long time... we give it lip service, of course - but the government we have today is something that any of the Founding Fathers would have considered tyrannical and in complete violation of the principles they tried to establish. It has vast powers and does pretty much whatever it likes, "adjusting" the law to suit.

The process really began with Abe Lincoln - The Chimp of 1860 - who used force to destroy the most basic concept underpinning what was formerly the American republic - that government derives its powers from the consent of the governed.

The principle of peaceful secession is the bedrock of everything else; take that away and you take everything else away, too.