Thread: Right hand-drive '76 Trans Am

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Right hand-drive '76 Trans Am

Check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3E-TBZp1XDQ

It's an Aussie right-hand drive Trans-Am; the car looks like a 50th Anniversary car, but I don't think it really is because of the red interior (the 50th Anniversary cars were black/black), chrome headlight bezels (50th Anniversary cars had gold anodized bezels, as well as gold-anodized grille and gold bird pot metal badge on the nose) and incorrect wheels (1977 aluminum snowflakes; the correct wheels are steel polycast Honeycombs).

But still, a neat car!

basketballmail2

Re: Right hand-drive '76 Trans Am

I'm not a fan of that nose style, never liked it, like the previous one and the one 77 one but I love the blubbering sound of that engine Got to love a nice V8 sound

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Re: Right hand-drive '76 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by basketballmail2
    I'm not a fan of that nose style, never liked it, like the previous one and the one 77 one but I love the blubbering sound of that engine Got to love a nice V8 sound
    The "shovel nose" TAs (1974-76) are indeed very distinctively different from both the earlier cars and the '77-'81 cars. I like '76 because it's the most "finished" looking of the three years; there's no rub strip and the front and rear fascias are better integrated with the rest of the car.

But what I like most is the rest of the sheetmetal - which retains the pleats and cut lines and othe small detail touches that disappear on the '77-up cars. For example, the hood on the '77 up cars is completely flat while on the '76 and earlier cars it is sculpted to meet the shape of the front end and fenders (the hood and front fenders on the '76 car are unique and do not interchange with later models). Also note the shaker design - which changes significantly after 1976 to a smaller, less aggressive design. The rear end is subtly different, too. Note the spoiler end caps, for example.

1976 also was a great year for unusual colors - incuding Carousel Red (my car) and Goldenrod Yellow. TAs in these colors are pretty rare. And of course, '76 was the final year for the big 455 V-8! Also the very cool (in my eyes) Honeycomb wheels. I have always thought these look better than the also nice but not nearly as distinctive Snowflake wheels that followed....

But all TAs are cool in my book!