Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Buick Invicta debuts... in China

  1. #1
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,743

    Buick Invicta debuts... in China

    More evidence about how fast the sun is setting on the US auto market:

    The sleek Buick Invicta show car revealed here in conjunction with Auto China 2008 is Buick?s strongest statement yet of its deliberately international plans. The four-door midsize sedan with a coupe-like roofline presents bold direction for Buick?s new generation of vehicles in the world?s two biggest automotive markets ? the United States and China.

    Invicta has evolved from Buick concepts such as the 2004 Velite convertible and 2007 Riviera coupe, both of which received accolades for their thoroughly modern adaptation of classic Buick themes. Invicta was designed collaboratively by GM centers of expertise in Warren, Mich. and Shanghai, China. The name, which is Latin for ?invincible,? returns to Buick after a 45-year hiatus in the United States.

    ?Buick's global appeal created an opportunity for GM Design Centers to elevate our collaboration to new levels. Using our virtual reality centers in Warren and Shanghai, designers fused the best ideas from both cultures during the development of the Invicta," said Edward T. Welburn, vice president, General Motors Global Design. "The result will set a new design standard for Buick, and it couldn't have been achieved by one studio working in isolation. The Invicta represents another significant design milestone in Buick's history."

    Invicta is powered by Buick?s first direct injection turbocharged engine, a four-cylinder powerplant that produces 250 horsepower (186 kW) and 220 lb-ft (298 Nm) of torque. The engine is matched with a six-speed automatic transmission for maximum fuel efficiency.

    Modern, sleek exterior

    Invicta?s designers drew inspiration from the Riviera concept. Invicta features modern and sleek proportions with exterior lines that flow uninterrupted around the vehicle. For example, Invicta?s cat-eye headlamps transition into the Buick heritage-inspired sweepspear design cue, which flows seamlessly along the body sides and merges into the taillamps. Similarly, one can trace the top of the headlamp casing to the roofline and the rear of the vehicle without interruptions.

    As with Riviera, Invicta features short overhangs with wheels pushed out to the corners for a well-planted stance. The overall appearance is sleek, thanks in part to a sweeping, low roofline and a front windshield that has an aggressive rake.

    Up front, the Buick tri-shield is prominently displayed inside the Velite-inspired chrome vertical waterfall grille. Polished aluminum surrounding the headlamps, portholes, around the D-pillar and along the lower side of the vehicle on the lower doors accentuates the overall exterior design. Reminiscent of a number of historic Buick models, Invicta?s portholes ? three per side ? are located on the hood rather than on the front quarter panels.

    Invicta?s wheelbase and high belt line give the vehicle more substantial proportions while visually reinforcing its premium appearance. Invicta?s 20-inch polished aluminum wheels feature a milled Buick tri-shield in the center cap.

    To signal its premium attributes while enhancing the vehicle?s sleek proportions, Invicta?s exterior is draped in a sumptuous AluStone color. Its warm beige tone contains wafer-thin flakes of aluminum that reflect light to emit a liquid gold appearance.

    Flowing, crafted interior

    The focus and attention to seamless transitions carry over inside Invicta. The doors merge to become one with the instrument panel, which morphs into the center console.

    The wrap-around design of the interior and fluid design provide a spacious cabin for all passengers, especially those seated in the back of the vehicle. At nearly 100 cubic feet of interior space, Invicta delivers large-car comfort in a mid-size sedan. The sense of roominess is further accentuated by a full glass roof, which allows all passengers to enjoy the sights, day or night.

    Invicta also showcases a high level of interior craftsmanship while creating an environment that is soothing, quiet, comfortable and inviting for all passengers.

    The blending of premium materials ? such as wood trim and polished aluminum accents, soft aniline leather, supple suede-like material and soothing Light Emitting Diode (LED) lighting technology ? encase passengers in Buick luxury.

    Beyond its sumptuous appearance, Buick created a show car for the senses. Authentic French seam stitching on the soft-touch instrument panel pad, door panels and steering wheel invites touch. Buttons, switches and door pulls are crafted to deliver a tactile quality experience. Soft and soothing Ice Blue ambient LED lighting on the instrument panel, around the central vehicle function controls, along the console and center storage, and in the front footwells provoke visual sophistication. Two discriminating ?spotlights? also accent the center point of the front and rear seats.

    Buick introduced the Invicta in North America as a production vehicle in 1959. The Invicta show car is the first time the nameplate has appeared on a Buick in China.


  2. #2
    Administrator Ken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lincolnshire, United Kingdom.
    Posts
    3,421

    Re: Buick Invicta debuts... in China

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric

    Modern, sleek exterior

    Invicta?s designers drew inspiration from the Riviera concept. Invicta features modern and sleek proportions with exterior lines that flow uninterrupted around the vehicle. For example, Invicta?s cat-eye headlamps transition into the Buick heritage-inspired sweepspear design cue, which flows seamlessly along the body sides and merges into the taillamps. Similarly, one can trace the top of the headlamp casing to the roofline and the rear of the vehicle without interruptions.

    As with Riviera, Invicta features short overhangs with wheels pushed out to the corners for a well-planted stance. The overall appearance is sleek, thanks in part to a sweeping, low roofline and a front windshield that has an aggressive rake.

    Up front, the Buick tri-shield is prominently displayed inside the Velite-inspired chrome vertical waterfall grille. Polished aluminum surrounding the headlamps, portholes, around the D-pillar and along the lower side of the vehicle on the lower doors accentuates the overall exterior design. Reminiscent of a number of historic Buick models, Invicta?s portholes ? three per side ? are located on the hood rather than on the front quarter panels.

    Invicta?s wheelbase and high belt line give the vehicle more substantial proportions while visually reinforcing its premium appearance. Invicta?s 20-inch polished aluminum wheels feature a milled Buick tri-shield in the center cap.

    Flowing, crafted interior

    The wrap-around design of the interior and fluid design provide a spacious cabin for all passengers, especially those seated in the back of the vehicle. At nearly 100 cubic feet of interior space, Invicta delivers large-car comfort in a mid-size sedan. The sense of roominess is further accentuated by a full glass roof, which allows all passengers to enjoy the sights, day or night.

    Beyond its sumptuous appearance, Buick created a show car for the senses. Authentic French seam stitching on the soft-touch instrument panel pad, door panels and steering wheel invites touch. Buttons, switches and door pulls are crafted to deliver a tactile quality experience. Soft and soothing Ice Blue ambient LED lighting on the instrument panel, around the central vehicle function controls, along the console and center storage, and in the front footwells provoke visual sophistication. Two discriminating ?spotlights? also accent the center point of the front and rear seats.

    Buick introduced the Invicta in North America as a production vehicle in 1959. The Invicta show car is the first time the nameplate has appeared on a Buick in China.

    Quite pleasant looking - to my mind a nicely balanced blend of the masculine and the feminine.



    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Raleigh NC, USA
    Posts
    3,628

    Re: Buick Invicta debuts... in China

    Not bad looking at all.
    I wonder why they thought it wouldn't sell here?

    Chip H.

    Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

  4. #4
    Staff
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    3,126

    Re: Buick Invicta debuts... in China

    I wouldn't buy it.

  5. #5
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,743

    Re: Buick Invicta debuts... in China

    Quote Originally Posted by chiph
    Not bad looking at all.
    I wonder why they thought it wouldn't sell here?

    Chip H.
    In general, our market is stagnant - and at capacity; "built out," as they say. Even in good times, the best days are long gone. But China is potentially a revival of 1950s America, with huge growth possible. That is why the majors are looking east - and saying goodbye to what's left of the North American market...

  6. #6
    Staff
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    3,126

    Re: Buick Invicta debuts... in China

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    Quote Originally Posted by chiph
    Not bad looking at all.
    I wonder why they thought it wouldn't sell here?

    Chip H.
    In general, our market is stagnant - and at capacity; "built out," as they say. Even in good times, the best days are long gone. But China is potentially a revival of 1950s America, with huge growth possible. That is why the majors are looking east - and saying goodbye to what's left of the North American market...
    They better get busy building HUGE highways then. They have 1.3 billion people versus our 300 million.

Similar Threads

  1. 1959-'63 Buick Invicta
    By Eric in forum Classic Car Corner
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-16-2010, 07:53 AM
  2. 1959-1963 Buick Invicta
    By Eric in forum Classic Car Corner
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-23-2009, 09:29 AM
  3. New Maybach model debuts in China....
    By Eric in forum Automotive News
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-20-2008, 02:51 PM
  4. 1970 Buick GS 455 Stage 1 - Buick's Short Reign (updated edition)
    By Disco Man in forum Performance/Muscle Cars
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 10-10-2007, 07:19 AM
  5. Holden engines to power Buick in China
    By Kwozzie1 in forum Motor Mouth
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-11-2007, 08:50 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •