Thread: Would you buy a new Camaro?

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Would you buy a new Camaro?

A serious question - to follow-up on the article posted earlier:

How many of you would buy a new Camaro, assuming gas prices are close to (or higher than) $4 per gallon for regular unleaded when the car becomes available?

I'm not asking for a wish list; I'm talking about seriously buying a new Camaro, assuming $4 per gallon fuel, based on your income/ability to feed it within your financial comfort zone.

I am having trouble seeing people - other than a relative handful of rich people - buying the car. Here's why:

* Not many people can afford a toy - and Camaro is a toy. A muscle car with a big engine and useless rear seats that cannot be a family's primary car (hence requiring that anyone with kids - probably even just married couples - must have another car in addition to the Camaro). Spending $20-$28k on a car with very limited usefulness is a tough sell to begin with; toss in economic uncertainty/recession - and it is an almost impossible sell.

* Cost to feed. If gas is $4 per gallon when Camaro comes out, and assuming it has an 18-21 gallon tank, it will cost at least $72 to fill it up. If it's a Z28/SS that has to have premium, add another $15 or so. I do ok; I make decent money and I own my house. But I would never sign on to a new car as a daily driver that is going t cost me $70-plus bucks to fill up and which will probably have to be filled at least twice a week if driven daily. If not driven daily, it's a toy - see the first point above.

Sales of large SUVs are already in the toilet - for the obvious reason - they are too damned expensive to feed. But they at least can be a primary family vehicle. A Camaro can't.

So, I want to know - who out there is realistically going to buy one - as opposed to just happy talking about how great it is that GM is bringing it back?

Re: Would you buy a new Camaro?

No, because I'm not in the market for a 2+2 car. Not because of anything inherent in it being a Camaro.

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

I wasn't interested in the car regardless of the fuel price situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric

How many of you would buy a new Camaro, assuming gas prices are close to (or higher than) $4 per gallon for regular unleaded when the car becomes available?
    Nobody.

It goes faster and better, but since when is that relevant?

Quote Originally Posted by misterdecibel
    I wasn't interested in the car regardless of the fuel price situation.
    Me either; for the money, Id rather have a classic-era Camaro. At least then I'd have something kind of cool - and which will almost certainly continue to appreciate in value (rather than depreciate, like any overpriced new car almost always does).

But I think that even people who are inclined to want such a car will pass - or at least, most of them will. Not because they want to pass - but because they have to pass. It seems to me that unless you are affluent enough to comfortably afford a $28k car (the probable price point of the V-8 Z28/SS) that needs $75' worth of fuel to tank up (and I'd say that eliminates almost everyone in the middle and working class - Camaro's natural audience) the only way you can buy such a car is to dig a debt hole and climb right on in.... and my sense of it is that people are getting leery about buying into the debt lifestyle, to the extent that they have a choice, anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by robmcg
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric

Nobody.

It goes faster and better, but since when is that relevant?
    It'll probably only be about as fast as the best current sport compacts... but will get much worse fuel economy, being considerably heavier and having a huge V-8 vs. a turbo four....