Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remember when a new sh**box cost $4k?

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Remember when a new sh**box cost $4k?

Recall the glory days of 1982!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2NV1DfIme4

Re: Remember when a new sh**box cost $4k?

Wow, what a piece of crap!

And available for financing at the low-low rate of 11.9% !!

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

Or a Yugo.

Quote Originally Posted by misterdecibel
    Or a Yugo.
    I worked at a dealership that sold new Yugos back in 1987, I remember they were $3,990. Remember this commercial back in the day:

Quote Originally Posted by chiph
    Wow, what a piece of crap!

And available for financing at the low-low rate of 11.9% !!

Chip H.
    Hilarious, eh? ;D

I also thought the "low" financing thing was a hoot!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete
    Or a Yugo.
    I worked at a dealership that sold new Yugos back in 1987, I remember they were $3,990. Remember this commercial back in the day:

Man, I remember that! '

I would have loved to test drive a brand-new Yugo press car.....

Staff

I remember when I lived in Texas and they were selling brand new Chevettes for $2650.00 Those were total shitboxes. The top speed was about 75 mph.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry
    I remember when I lived in Texas and they were selling brand new Chevettes for $2650.00 Those were total shitboxes. The top speed was about 75 mph.
    Yeah - but they were largely free of the cost-padding weight adding saaaaaafety bullshit you and I despise. $2,500 for a basic transpo shitbox I could mostly fix myself.... not so bad, when you think about it!

D_E_Davis

Racing one against a VW Beetle must have been thrilling.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete
    Or a Yugo.

Man, I remember that! '

I would have loved to test drive a brand-new Yugo press car.....
    There aren't many cars whose value could be doubled just by filling it with gas. :

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

Staff

Yeah - but they were largely free of the cost-padding weight adding saaaaaafety bullshit you and I despise. $2,500 for a basic transpo shitbox I could mostly fix myself.... not so bad, when you think about it!

Plus, you could modify the engine to produce more HP. More HP has a greater effect on a lightweight car.

D_E_Davis

Plus, you could modify the engine to produce more HP. More HP has a greater effect on a lightweight car.
    Sure does! Remember the Judson blower for VW Beetles?

Yes, absolutely!

Quote Originally Posted by D_E_Davis

Wow, that's a new one for me!

I have owned a number of old air-cooled VWs; we added hi-perf heads and dual-carb intakes and headers, etc., to amp up the power. But I never saw or even heard about a supercharger for the VW flat four... neat! What kind of power did it make?

I have owned a number of old air-cooled VWs; we added hi-perf heads and dual-carb intakes and headers, etc., to amp up the power. But I never saw or even heard about a supercharger for the VW flat four... neat! What kind of power did it make?
    Judson claimed a 50% power increase so I guess that put the 36 bhp engine up to 54 bhp and the 40 bhp engine up to a heady 60 bhp.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken

Judson claimed a 50% power increase so I guess that put the 36 bhp engine up to 54 bhp and the 40 bhp engine up to a heady 60 bhp.

Ken.
    If memory serves, the later "Super Beetle" 1600 cc engines were considerably more powerful than the original 36-40 hp engines; with dual carbs and headers, an otherwise stock circa '73 model year Super Beetle could scoot reasonably well. These cars were very light - esp. relative to today's "economy" cars. I think they weighed around 1,800 lb. or so - vs. today's "typical" of around 2,400 lbs..... . So if you were abe to get 70-80 hp out of the thing, it was reasonably quick... plus, the parts for those old vee-dubs were (and still are) very cheap and most any maintenance can be handled by the owner.... I have fond memories of my old VWs. Hope to get that '73-'74 Thing one of thee days, too!

If memory serves, the later "Super Beetle" 1600 cc engines were considerably more powerful than the original 36-40 hp engines; with dual carbs and headers, an otherwise stock circa '73 model year Super Beetle could scoot reasonably well. These cars were very light - esp. relative to today's "economy" cars. I think they weighed around 1,800 lb. or so - vs. today's "typical" of around 2,400 lbs..... . So if you were abe to get 70-80 hp out of the thing, it was reasonably quick... plus, the parts for those old vee-dubs were (and still are) very cheap and most any maintenance can be handled by the owner.... I have fond memories of my old VWs. Hope to get that '73-'74 Thing one of thee days, too!
    The highest output I am aware of from the 'standard' 1600cc flat four was 60 bhp from the 1971 motor. With blower that would indicate a probable 90 bhp in a car that weighed about two thirds the weight of a modern small car.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken
    The highest output I am aware of from the 'standard' 1600cc flat four was 60 bhp from the 1971 motor. With blower that would indicate a probable 90 bhp in a car that weighed about two thirds the weight of a modern small car.

Ken.
    Yep - that sounds about right!

With 90 hp, a Super Beetle would fly. I think it would have a better power-to-weight ratio than most of today's economy-type cars with engines in the 120-140 hp range....

D_E_Davis

I don't recall, but Ken seems to = I remember the increase was substantial. Of course, this now allowed you to over-rev the engine, and the VW cast steel crank didn't tolerate that at all.

I don't recall, but Ken seems to = I remember the increase was substantial. Of course, this now allowed you to over-rev the engine, and the VW cast steel crank didn't tolerate that at all.

Hence the proliferation of tuning firms thatwould produce special cranks or balance crank assemblies. On the 850 mini engines the cranks had a critical whirling speed of, if memory serves me correctly, just over 6000 rpm. Coupled with the fact that the main bearing were often out of line by several thou it was easy to destroy a crank by over-revving. I had a small firm that did a superb job of crank assembly balancing and, when the original cast main bearing caps were replaced by steel caps and precision line bored, I was able to run the polished and balanced crank in my souped up 850 at 8000+ rpm.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.