In the who cares department, it looks like both bills that would have institutionalized red light cameras died in both the Florida Senate and the Florida house. In an end of session maneuver, the red light camera language was written into a highway safety bill that was not able to get past the second reading in the Senate. Had it passed, red light cameras would have passed, however, that version had severe restrictions placed on them and those installing them would have to had the state certify their use.

It has been a long, hard fight against these devices. I learned nothing from the fight except that politicians are worse cockroaches than I originally thought.

A study by the University of South Florida released the day yours truly went to Tallahassee helped our case in at least one city, Melbourne, where a vote on the issue was delayed by the city council. In the face of the convincing evidence against them, even the city cop, who really supported the devices, actually wanted to withdraw the ordinance for red light cameras.

It will be interesting to see what happens. I hope that someone will step up and decide to sue a city for issuing a camera ticket. I believe that there is an opportunity to disprove their legality and put the final nail in the red light camera coffin.

Red light cameras have never been closer to passage than they were today. I have to believe that we had a small impact on the final result for this year. The momentum appears to have slowed for these devices, but it is too early to tell.

Hopefully, this time, right comes before might.

In the meantime, in the words of my favorite president, Ronald Reagan, "all in all, not bad, not bad at all."