Thread: Want to Avoid Red Light Camera Tickets?

Want to Avoid Red Light Camera Tickets?

Want to avoid red light camera tickets? Freedom is just a spray away:

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Re: Want to Avoid Red Light Camera Tickets?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete
    Want to avoid red light camera tickets? Freedom is just a spray away:

I have something similar on my motorcycle. It distorts the image of the license plate; looks normal to the human eye, but a camera/flash results in a hazy, unreadable image.

No cop, no stop! ;D

Illegal in NC. As well as license plate covers, whether or not they're designed to fool the cameras.

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

Quote Originally Posted by chiph
    Illegal in NC. As well as license plate covers, whether or not they're designed to fool the cameras.

Chip H.

Interesting. One of the things I notice when I go to NC coastal areas, in all the beach communtities a lot of residents have clear plastic covers over their license plates. The sea air really eats the plates up quickly hence they use the clear plastic covers to protect them.

Staff

I don't understand why someone would want to protect license plates, which are state property.

As for me, I object to the idea of putting a state mandated appendage on a vehicle I paid for with my own (and the banks at one time) money.
    It's my car dammit. The last thing I would do is protect state property on my vehicle. If the damned thing wants to rust, let it.

In fact, when I wash my car, I make sure to miss the license plate, although I will take it off to clean behind the damned thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry
    I don't understand why someone would want to protect license plates, which are state property.

As for me, I object to the idea of putting a state mandated appendage on a vehicle I paid for with my own (and the banks at one time) money.
    It's my car dammit. The last thing I would do is protect state property on my vehicle. If the damned thing wants to rust, let it.

In fact, when I wash my car, I make sure to miss the license plate, although I will take it off to clean behind the damned thing.

Henry,

I see your point, however when a plate becomes unreadable, cops will ticket you for it. And in most states when you request a replacement plate for an old one, they hit you will surcharge anywhere from $30 to $100 depending on which state you live in.

D_E_Davis

I see your point, however when a plate becomes unreadable, cops will ticket you for it. And in most states when you request a replacement plate for an old one, they hit you will surcharge anywhere from $30 to $100 depending on which state you live in.
    That's rather steep. Only $5 here.

D_E_Davis

Quote Originally Posted by chiph
    Covers are illegal in a great many states. It is such a low-level "sin", though, that you have to have been stopped for something much more serious before the officer adds that to the list.

DonTom

Quote Originally Posted by DonTom
    Interesting.... I have the shield on my ZRX's plate... dunno if it works or not. But I do know my right wrist works very well indeed! ;D

Quote Originally Posted by D_E_Davis

That's rather steep. Only $5 here.
    Dennis,

I was considering moving to Arizona (Phoenix area), a little while back (some unforeseen factors changed my plans), I noticed then that the DMV fees in Arizona were pretty reasonable. Here in Virginia they really like to tack on all the added expenses. A while back I wanted to get a special state plate with my University's name on it. When I found out it was a $25.00 surcharge for every year I kept it on my car, I passed on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric

Interesting.... I have the shield on my ZRX's plate... dunno if it works or not. But I do know my right wrist works very well indeed! ;D
    take a picture of your plate with your camera flash on, if you can't read the plate then you'll know it works.

D_E_Davis

I was considering moving to Arizona (Phoenix area), a little while back (some unforeseen factors changed my plans), I noticed then that the DMV fees in Arizona were pretty reasonable. Here in Virginia they really like to tack on all the added expenses. A while back I wanted to get a special state plate with my University's name on it. When I found out it was a $25.00 surcharge for every year I kept it on my car, I passed on it.
    Yeah, they are pretty reasonable, but the specialty plates (36 of them) mostly cost $25/year. The only one that's totally free is the Medal of Honor one, and then only if you can show you've been awarded the CMH.

What bothers most new arrivals here is that the property tax on the car is collected with the registration fee. For those from out east, where property tax on autos & boats is collected differently, the bill is a shock. For example, I just got a new car. Next year I'll get a bill for about $350 of which only $29 is license & registration.

take a picture of your plate with your camera flash on, if you can't read the plate then you'll know it works.
    Excellent idea; will try to do a "before" and "after" today - and post the pics!

Staff

Excellent idea; will try to do a "before" and "after" today - and post the pics!
    Do it with the flash off as well. The cameras don't need a flash during the day.

DonTom

"dunno if it works or not."

IMAO, you will find that it's just another product made for cars / bikes that does nothing at all.

BTW, is the jury still out on the deer whistle issue (if they work or not)?

-Don-