Iowa farmer Thomas Krumm went to his local Ford dealer to order a Mustang GT convertible and unwittingly ordered a piece of history ? his Mustang is the 9 millionth built by Ford Motor Company.

He discovers that today when he picks up his milestone Mustang at Gookin Ford in Story City, Iowa.

Krumm, a farmer from rural Story City, became interested in Mustangs through his daughter, Rachael, a Mustang enthusiast who saved enough money to buy her first Mustang at age 17.

"Having been a Mustang fanatic my entire life, I couldn't be more excited that my dad is receiving the 9 millionth Mustang," said Rachael Krumm, who also is a member of the Iowa National Guard. "I am thrilled that I get to see his Mustang GT and its cool new features before I leave for Iraq."

Mustang is Ford Motor Company's longest-running nameplate. It was introduced on April 17, 1964 at the New York World's Fair.

"Mustang is an icon, and the 9 millionth Mustang is a milestone we're very proud of," said Fritz Wilke, Mustang Brand Manager.

"So many people have contributed to Mustang's proud 44-year heritage possible ? from incredible Mustangs owners and enthusiasts to our partners at AAI where Mustangs are built to Ford's Product Development and Ford Division teams," he said.

Some Mustang facts:

The Ford Mustang is one of the most widely recognized vehicles in the world. Today, one of every two sports cars sold in America is a Mustang.

Mustang sales hit an astounding 419,000 in its first 12 months on the market, and topped the 1 million mark in its first two years, shattering the sales records of any single model in the history of the automobile.

Today, Mustang leads the nearly $1 billion aftermarket parts and accessories industry as the most personalized vehicle of all time, and has been recognized by SEMA as the most accessory-friendly new vehicle.

Coming this summer are two special Mustangs ? one with a glass roof option and another with an upgraded "Warriors in Pink" package, whose sales help support breast cancer research.