Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows Vista

Windows Vista

If anybody has wondered why there are so many complaints about Vista, what you think you're buying isn't what you get. I've tried to just make some notes on my computer. Some of which were going to be used on this site. I am allowed to use it 25 times and then I have to pay for a full version. No product code means you can't use it. So far, it took three weeks to get online with this machine since I still use AOL (at $300 per year) but there is no way to get online because AOL is not loaded. You have to download the programming. However, you have to be able to get online to begin with. It took 3 weeks for AOL to send me a disc so I can use my service.

My next machine will probably either be a Macintosh or I'll go with Linux, or it's successor. I've already had to reformat the drive once. My last two machines, which are both in use, never have been reformated. XP was a good program but Vista is a waste of money. Period. >
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

DonTom

Re: Windows Vista

" If anybody has wondered why there are so many complaints about Vista, what you think you're buying isn't what you get. I've tried to just make some notes on my computer. Some of which were going to be used on this site. I am allowed to use it 25 times and then I have to pay for a full version. No product code means you can't use it."

I own many computers, mostly with Windows Vista, including this one. I like Vista and I am trying to figure out what you're talking about. How did you get a computer with Vista without a product code?

I have been using Vista for more than a year and never had a problem at 25 days.

IMO, the reason most people complain about Vista is simply because they have not learned how to use it. For an example, I had a lot of problems too, before I knew how to turn UAC (User Account Control) off. Too much safety BS built it, but it can all be turned off & on as needed.

I like the way Vista works better than XP, which I also use.

-Don-

Quote Originally Posted by grouch

If anybody has wondered why there are so many complaints about Vista, what you think you're buying isn't what you get. I've tried to just make some notes on my computer. Some of which were going to be used on this site. I am allowed to use it 25 times and then I have to pay for a full version. No product code means you can't use it.
    I have no idea what any of this means. Start from the beginning. Did you buy a new computer?

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

If anybody has wondered why there are so many complaints about Vista, what you think you're buying isn't what you get. I've tried to just make some notes on my computer. Some of which were going to be used on this site. I am allowed to use it 25 times and then I have to pay for a full version. No product code means you can't use it. So far, it took three weeks to get online with this machine since I still use AOL (at $300 per year) but there is no way to get online because AOL is not loaded. You have to download the programming. However, you have to be able to get online to begin with. It took 3 weeks for AOL to send me a disc so I can use my service.

My next machine will probably either be a Macintosh or I'll go with Linux, or it's successor. I've already had to reformat the drive once. My last two machines, which are both in use, never have been reformated. XP was a good program but Vista is a waste of money. Period. >
    Come to the Dark Side.... seriously.

PCs have exactly one advantage over Macs - they are cheaper. But they are also cheap pieces of you know what, too.

Macs do not crash; or rarely do. The OS is extremey stable - and far more user friendly; the Mac does not need endless (and expensive) "firewalls" and "virus" protection. I have none of either on my machine, fyi. Never have had. And never had a problem, even though I am on the Net every day for hours at a time. It is a much higher-quality piece. It does not take 5 minutes to boot up; it never "freezes" on me.

A Mac desktop or laptop will easily last you 5 years, if not longer. (That's how long I keep mine; and I could probably have kept each of them much longer; I just chose to get a new machine around that time. None were giving me problems.) My current desktop is an eMac I bought circa 2003. It cost around $1,000 if I recall right. So that's about $200 per year - and no problems. Ever.

Finally, the new Macs are "dual platform" compatible; anything you need to do on a PC you can do on a Mac.

And - lose AOL.

AOL sucks.

You can get any of a score of superior ISPs for a fraction of the rape job per month AOL does to you.... look into it!

I am allowed to use it 25 times and then I have to pay for a full version.
    There's an 800 number you can call to activate your Windows Vista. You don't need internet access to do it.

And second the comments about AOL. For only a few dollars more each month you can get DSL or cable modem.

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chiph
    There's an 800 number you can call to activate your Windows Vista. You don't need internet access to do it.

And second the comments about AOL. For only a few dollars more each month you can get DSL or cable modem.

Chip H.
    Isn't it amazing that there are still people using AOL as their ISP?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    Quote Originally Posted by chiph

Chip H.

Isn't it amazing that there are still people using AOL as their ISP?

Er, Hurrumph! if you just take a look at my email addy. ;D

I've used AOL over here since I went onto the 'net. I have always used AOL both on dial-up and broadband. On the (very rare) occasions that AOL has played up I switch to I.E. I pay 14.99/$30pcm for 2 meg Broadband and, so far, have never had less than I have paid for. Speed consistently around the 1.875/1.925 Mbps. Disconnections? possibly a couple or so in the last three years, but with immediate, automatic re-connection. Some slight problems recently as AOL have changed over from their own servers to the Carphone Warehouse servers but these glitches were expected and seldom lasted long. For me? - AOL is OK!

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

Grouch,

I feel your pain. Vista is junk, Microsoft added unnecessary junk to the OS and hid all the stuff you need to get to several layers down (so it's a real treat finding things). On top of that the security crap is annoying, as if anti-virus programs weren't bad enough, its a pain having to configure security such as "run as administrator" rights to all your programs.

As a future reference, if you need to ever load AOL on your PC again and don't have Internet access, you can stop by any Best Buy, Circuit City, or any other large chain that sells computers and they will have the most recent AOL version on CD for you take free of charge (their usually located in a small rack in the computer section).

MikeHalloran

Quote Originally Posted by Pete
    As a future reference, if you need to ever load AOL on your PC again and don't have Internet access, you can stop by any Best Buy, Circuit City, or any other large chain that sells computers and they will have the most recent AOL version on CD for you take free of charge (their usually located in a small rack in the computer section).
    AOL CDs are also available at Wal-Mart.

Speaking of CDs, on my daughter's new computer, Puppy Linux boots from a CD at least five times faster than Vista booted from the hard drive before she gave up and installed XP.

since I'm in the middle of trying to land a job working for Microsoft, I'm going to have to watch myself here.

However, I've been running Vista Ultimate (64-bit, of course) on my desktop for nearly a year now. Provided you turn off UAC, and have decent hardware, there is absolutely nothing WRONG with Vista. There just also isnt anything compelling about it either - all the proper features were stripped out prior to release. If you have XP, keep it. If you are building/buying a new high-end computer system, go ahead and get Vista (but dont waste your time with basic).
    '06 Lotus Elise, '07 Saturn Sky Redline

MikeHalloran

Quote Originally Posted by damen

..., there is absolutely nothing WRONG with Vista.
    You mean, nothing like loops of dialog boxes that tell you:
    - Your network interface is broken.
    - Would you like me to fix it?
    -<yes>
    - Fixing ... There is nothing wrong with your network interface.
    - <ok>
    repeat ad nauseam.

One thing more maddening than brain- damaged software is _arrogant_ brain- damaged software.

Actually, it may not have been 'broken' in the sense you mean when she bought the computer in Aug 2007.
    The October 07 automatic update killed off wireless networking. I don't think she even owns a wire.

Vista _was_ broken from the start in the sense that it could _never_ run some specific applications that she needed for school.

If you're a decent programmer, you're going to feel very alone at Microsoft.

DonTom

"Vista (but dont waste your time with basic)."

Why? I have a couple of computers with Vista Basic. They do everything I need them to do.

One of the computers I have with Vista Basic (a notebook computer) is in Simplified Chinese. I purchased that one while in China last year.

And Eric, Vista rarely crashes. In fact, don't recall it ever crashing on me.

-Don-

Quote Originally Posted by MikeHalloran
    Quote Originally Posted by damen

..., there is absolutely nothing WRONG with Vista.
    You mean, nothing like loops of dialog boxes that tell you:
    - Would you like me to fix it?
    -<yes>
    - Fixing ... There is nothing wrong with your network interface.
    - <ok>
    repeat ad nauseam.

One thing more maddening than brain- damaged software is _arrogant_ brain- damaged software.

Actually, it may not have been 'broken' in the sense you mean when she bought the computer in Aug 2007.
    The October 07 automatic update killed off wireless networking. I don't think she even owns a wire.

Vista _was_ broken from the start in the sense that it could _never_ run some specific applications that she needed for school.

If you're a decent programmer, you're going to feel very alone at Microsoft.
    lol who says I'm a programmer at all?
    I'm applying to be a Premier Field Engineer - that is, top-level uber-expensive on-site server tech support
    '06 Lotus Elise, '07 Saturn Sky Redline

I'm getting closer to reformating the hard drive (again) on my newest computer and sell it off. I know my next machine will probably be a Mac. Vista is still giving me fits. It does odd things by itself and nothing I can do seems to affect it. Also, what I thought I was buying when I went with the premium version evidently isn't what I got. The home office set up I thought I was buying is actually a trial version and I had to buy it again. I don't think so. This piece of junk is the least value for a dollar I've been stuck with in a looooonnnnggg time. I never worried about giving Bill Gates money when I got value for it. He won't get anymore of it though. > > >
    Honk if you love Jesus.

I've never heard of a computer coming with a demo operating system before. Sounds like you made a poor choice in vendors.

Quote Originally Posted by misterdecibel
    I've never heard of a computer coming with a demo operating system before. Sounds like you made a poor choice in vendors.

I bought a Toshiba. This one isn't as good as the last Toshiba I bought. However, at least the power supply seems to be more durable on this machine. I bought the Vista Home Premium but the student programming seems to be just a trial version.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

MikeHalloran

Go to a bookstore, buy a Linux magazine with a DVD in it, and install it. Forget Billy.

How much did you pay for this trial operating system? Why didn't the computer come with an OS license?

Quote Originally Posted by misterdecibel
    How much did you pay for this trial operating system? Why didn't the computer come with an OS license?

It came with the computer. The computer does have an OS license but the home office part is a trial version. I went back to the store, Office Depot, and the fellow said they come like this now. I bought a Toshiba Satellite A205 with the Vista home premium system. It's been a pain since the day I cut the tape and took it out of the box.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

D_E_Davis

The computer does have an OS license but the home office part is a trial version.
    Trialware - a pain in the a** to most of us, and only Dell will sell you a system without it (and then, only if you ask). Ripping all that stuff out completely, then replacing it with my preferred applications, can take me three or four days.