Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Challenger production has commenced

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Challenger production has commenced

Chrysler today celebrated the production launch of one of the industry's most highly anticipated vehicles—the all-new 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8. Dodge Challenger is back in Chrysler's line-up as a modern muscle car with a new SRT8 model. A full line-up will follow in the 2009 model-year. Consumer interest in the Dodge Challenger has been some of the highest seen at Chrysler.

The all-new Dodge Challenger is built at Chrysler's Brampton Assembly Plant on the same assembly line as the Dodge Charger and the award-winning Chrysler 300.

"Even though the development time for this Dodge Challenger SRT8 is one of the shortest in Chrysler's history, the wait for this exciting car has been too long, and as of today, the wait is finally over!" said Frank Ewasyshyn, Executive Vice President – Manufacturing. "Dodge Challenger represents the best of Chrysler's past and future. The teams that worked to bring this vehicle to market with quality and speed have done an excellent job."

Nearly 1,000 employees and invited guests joined Mr. Ewasyshyn for the celebration.

To ensure quality targets were met and to foster a smooth manufacturing launch, a team of Brampton employees spent months helping to build pilot vehicles at Chrysler's Auburn Hills Technology Center. Then, early pre-production models were built on the Brampton assembly line—rather than a pilot facility—which allowed engineers to more realistically test the production process.

"The vision of rolling launches on lines that build multiple and variant models is becoming a reality as demonstrated with the Dodge Challenger at the Brampton Assembly Plant," said Fred Godetel, Vice President – Car and Minivan Manufacturing. "Chrysler's Flexible Manufacturing Strategy, little more than a theory a few years ago, is being proved out at plants across North America."

The Brampton Assembly Plant features Chrysler's Flexible Manufacturing Strategy which provides for the production of higher quality products at lower cost. This unique system combines off-the-shelf robotics with customized and interchangeable tooling to build a variety of products on a single assembly line. This manufacturing expertise also allows the Company to more quickly and easily balance vehicle production with customer demand.

The return of the iconic Dodge Challenger combines unmistakable design cues reminiscent of the original Challenger with world-class performance. Approximately 7,000 2008 model-year vehicles for North American markets will be produced before 2009 model-year vehicles begin production in August. For 2009, the Company will offer three models: Dodge Challenger SE, Dodge Challenger R/T and Dodge Challenger SRT8.

Dodge dealers have seen a tremendous interest in the Dodge Challenger and 2008 models are already sold out.

Although the original Dodge Challenger muscle car lasted only five model years, the Dodge Challenger became one of the most storied muscle car nameplates in automotive history, with meticulously restored and rare examples today selling for six-figure prices.

The U.S. MSRP for the 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8 starts at $37,995, including the $675 destination charge.

Re: Challenger production has commenced

I am sure there are a lot of happy campers with this news.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete
    I am sure there are a lot of happy campers with this news.
    To me, it's like being a starving man allowed to stand right up next to the plate glass window of a great restaurant and watch the food go by.

Who is going to be able to buy one of these things? Seriously.

I use myself as a gauge; I know I make more money than the typical American. I have a paid-for house and consider myself in pretty good shape, money wise.

Yet there is no way I would commit almost $40k to a new car. Any new car. And a car that gets 13 mpg and is basically useless? Forget about it!

A classic car like our TAs is different; they are toys (and paid-for) and see only a few hundred miles of use each year.

Who is going to buy a $40k new car and then basically park it?

It won't appreciate in value; it costs a fortune to buy (not to mention the taxes and insurance you have to pay).... I just don't see it. :'(

I'd buy it, if it werent for the fact that I want the Camaro.
    While I know I'm not necessarily normal, I'm not THAT much of a weirdo.
    '06 Lotus Elise, '07 Saturn Sky Redline

Quote Originally Posted by Eric

To me, it's like being a starving man allowed to stand right up next to the plate glass window of a great restaurant and watch the food go by.

Who is going to be able to buy one of these things? Seriously.

I use myself as a gauge; I know I make more money than the typical American. I have a paid-for house and consider myself in pretty good shape, money wise.

Yet there is no way I would commit almost $40k to a new car. Any new car. And a car that gets 13 mpg and is basically useless? Forget about it!

A classic car like our TAs is different; they are toys (and paid-for) and see only a few hundred miles of use each year.

Who is going to buy a $40k new car and then basically park it?

It won't appreciate in value; it costs a fortune to buy (not to mention the taxes and insurance you have to pay).... I just don't see it. :'(
    I'd buy one, if I had not bought a new car in the last two years. If I bought one, I'd go with the 380 horsepower 5.7 Hemit Challenger R/T which has more than enough horsepower most of the looks of the SRT8 and yet MDS so the mileage will be in the 20s on the highway. I'd drive the crap out of it and enjoy the car.

Most people who buy a new car can't afford one, they just finance it over 5 years or lease it for 2-3 years.

"Most people who buy a new car can't afford one, they just finance it over 5 years or lease it for 2-3 years."

I think that's it... .

I guess I'm a weirdo/out of step with everyone else - because much as I like that car and would have fun owning it, the prospect of assuming a big-ass debt load keeps me from pulling the trigger. I always pay cash for my cars. That means I drive older/less "hot" cars, it's true - but to me, being paid-for (and debt free) is the most desirable thing there is - especially now with the economic shitstorm we're about to live through....

I swear Eric, you are the posterboy for the eternal Pessimist.
    You would've made a great EMO had that clique existed when you were a kid

Quote Originally Posted by damen
    Damen,

What's an EMO? I remember it referred to a type or genre of punk music years ago.

Eric,

Don't feel too bad, If everyone were like you we would not be the current bad economic situation with the credit and mortgage crises. To many people are buying things with money they don't have.

I have in the past bought cars outright, and financed a few. I will splurge on some big ticket items when I have the money for them. For me I spend entirely too much on cars and will finance them but I make sure the payments are low enough if I lose income for a period of time, I have enough money set aside to make the payments.

Emo is... very depressed. lots of black. very whiney and angsty - even though they're almost certainly white and middle class (if not upper-middle).
    Also a genre of music that is an offshoot of punk/pop-punk

Maybe!

And I do hope I'm being an EMO for no real reason... but I am glad I am 41 today and not 21.... when I was 21, I could afford a V-8 muscle car as my everyday car. Gas was about $1.40 a gallon. As recently as the late '90s, I was able to buy a decent single family home (with two car garage!) in Northern Va; not far from Tysons Corner, for $170k.

Emo is... very depressed. lots of black. very whiney and angsty - even though they're almost certainly white and middle class (if not upper-middle).
    Trenchoat mafia?

They should have copied this Challenger.

Pretty!

Is it an Iso?

Trenchoat mafia?
    no, they were more goth

Trenchoat mafia?
    no, they were more goth
    We had those in college; called 'em PIBs.... (Person in Black)

I was never one of those!

I was/am
    I'm not really a goth, but I only wear black/grey - I simply prefer those colors

Pretty!

Is it an Iso?
    No, it's a Dodge Challenger.

Body by Pietro Frua.

I was/am
    I'm not really a goth, but I only wear black/grey - I simply prefer those colors
    These days I get to be a real slob and wear whatever I want to - which is mostly cargo pants, t-shirts, sweats and shorts, etc. I have not put on a dress shirt (or worn a tie) in years!

dont think I've worn a tie since highschool, but I wear a dress shirt every workday

dont think I've worn a tie since highschool, but I wear a dress shirt every workday
    You have my sympathy!

I hate "formal" clothes of any kind... . You should see me at the media launches for new cars; almost all the other journalists are suited up as if they were accountants or lawyers or something. "F" that!

I wear what I want. I'm there to drive the $!!&*! car and write... not be a clothes horse!