Thread: Found two Fieros near me for $800

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Found two Fieros near me for $800

This is probably 30-45 minutes from me, max....

http://blacksburg.craigslist.org/car/673664142.html

Re: Found two Fieros near me for $800

Eric,

That's a fantastic deal. I like the later 87/88 styling (its a little sleeker). The great thing about those cars is they are so low maintanence, and with the 2.5 iron duke you'll get close to 40 mph on the highway. It's a great commuter car that gets fantastic gas mileage. My old '86 MPI 2.8 liter 6 Fiero SE got about 30 mpg on the highway. I knew people who owned the iron duke 2.5 liter 4 cylinder fieros and they got about 40 mpg on the highway.

basketballmail2

Hmmmm weren't fieros the cheap alternative to the Firebird? I'm not sure anymore but I thought I read somewhere that that's what they where I personally don't like the Fieros that much, too small and crammed for my taste, but yes they get pretty decent gas milage.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by basketballmail2
    Hmmmm weren't fieros the cheap alternative to the Firebird? I'm not sure anymore but I thought I read somewhere that that's what they where I personally don't like the Fieros that much, too small and crammed for my taste, but yes they get pretty decent gas milage.
    Well, sort of... they were much smaller and less expensive both to buy and operate. They were mid-engined, with both four and six-cylinder engines, but never a V-8 as in the Firebird.

But they were sporty and (I thought) looked great. I've always wanted to own one, actually....

Quote Originally Posted by basketballmail2
    Actually the Fiero was really intended to be the average Joe's mid-engined sports car (it was Pontiac's Fiat X1/9 and Porsche 914). Having owned a '86 Fiero SE V6 and Trans Ams over the years, the two are so much different. The Fiero (V6 models) are very fun cars. They have a perfect 50/50 front/back weight distribution so they are completely balanced. I am 6'3" and I found the Fiero to have plenty of room and head room. The seating position is much lower than the Firebird/Trans Am you feel like you are sitting on the ground, which gives it a real exotic sports car feel and added to the fun factor. The shifter was placed a few inches to the right of the steering wheel so you could make quick shifts with ease. The exhaust note was fantastic, the car turned like it was on rails and had plenty of power. With that being said I still perfer a Trans Am over the Fiero, the V8 power and muscle car traits make it a more fun car to me. In essence back in 1994 I had to sell my 1982 Trans Am or 1986 Fiero SE V6 (when buying a new SUV), I sold the Fiero. If I had to do it over again I would have made the same decision, the Trans Am is a lot more fun to drive.