Thread: What car is this?

DonTom

What car is this?

The car below was used in several home burglaries here in the Reno area in the last couple of months. It was caught on my camera system, as I had a report from a neighbour of the exact time it went by my house. All she could tell was that it was red and a four door car. The pix is lousy, resolution is low, but can anybody tell what type and year car this might be?

-Don-

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Re: What car is this?

Quote Originally Posted by DonTom
    The car below was used in several home burglaries here in the Reno area in the last couple of months. It was caught on my camera system, as I had a report from a neighbour of the exact time it went by my house. All she could tell was that it was red and a four door car. The pix is lousy, resolution is low, but can anybody tell what type and year car this might be?

-Don-
    Very hard to ID - but the general profile suggests an older car - I'd say mid-late 1980s/early 1990s. Could be an early Maxima....

'86-ish Camry?

Staff

That Camry was exported to the states from 1983-1986. The 1987 model was more rounded. Brings back decent memories. I had a 1986 model up to 100 mph on I-45 in Texas when the speed limit was 65.

It was a decent ride, although slow.

Quote Originally Posted by misterdecibel
    '86-ish Camry?

I bought a 1990 Camry Friday. It looks like this car. I'll have to look closer when the sun comes up. If it's the same, the U.S. model looked like this from 1987-91. '92 models were redesigned quite a bit.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

Early to mid 90's Grand-Am?

http://www.automotive.com/1996/12/po...ews/index.html

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

Quote Originally Posted by grouch

I bought a 1990 Camry Friday. It looks like this car. I'll have to look closer when the sun comes up. If it's the same, the U.S. model looked like this from 1987-91. '92 models were redesigned quite a bit.
    I'm reminded of a co-worker who can't see the difference between different generations of VW Jettas. Even when I pointed out a current model, a MkIV, and a MkIII in the parking lot one day, she was just like "meh they all look like Jettas to me".

I've been trying to enlarge the suspect car photo but it's in a format my computer can't do anything with. From what I can see it's a 1987-91 Toyota Camry 4 door sedan.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

DonTom

" I've been trying to enlarge the suspect car photo but it's in a format my computer can't do anything with. From what I can see it's a 1987-91 Toyota Camry 4 door sedan."

Thanks (everyone) for all the help.

The file is a simple JPG, but it won't do any good to enlarge it because the resolution is too low. I already tried that.

-Don-

Send it to CSI:Miami. They are apparently able to make up pixels out of nothing, when they zoom a camera phone pic to show amazing detail.

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

DonTom

"Send it to CSI:Miami. They are apparently able to make up pixels out of nothing, when they zoom a camera phone pic to show amazing detail."

Yes, I know the FBI can do that too. True forensic stuff is my favorite stuff to watch on TV.

BTW, the cops in Reno already have the photo shown here. However, I think it's doubtful they will do much with it. They put a lot more effort into murder cases.

However, since many homes have been ripped off in that area in the last couple of months, the cops might put a little more effort into this case.

-Don- (San Francisco)

Quote Originally Posted by DonTom
    "Send it to CSI:Miami. They are apparently able to make up pixels out of nothing, when they zoom a camera phone pic to show amazing detail."

Yes, I know the FBI can do that too. True forensic stuff is my favorite stuff to watch on TV.

BTW, the cops in Reno already have the photo shown here. However, I think it's doubtful they will do much with it. They put a lot more effort into murder cases.

However, since many homes have been ripped off in that area in the last couple of months, the cops might put a little more effort into this case.

-Don- (San Francisco)

If you ever notice, a lot of departments have "To Protect and Serve" on the side of their car. Protecting life and limb will always have higher priority than keeping what is basically just stuff in the owners hands. On the other hand, a lot of murders started out as a home invasion robbery. I let one of the local Mensa members see what they can do with it. The front clearance light is just too blurred to do anything but the rest of the car is a 85-90% match with my '90 Camry. If so, it's a 1987-91 Camry.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

I still say it's a Grand Am because of the way that the taillights wrap up to the top of the trunk.

Chip H.

Quote Originally Posted by chiph
    I still say it's a Grand Am because of the way that the taillights wrap up to the top of the trunk.

Chip H.

We were going more by the body profile. Specifically the rear pillar behind the rear door with the side window at an angle. The tail lamps also match the Camry. The front is too blurry to clear so a positive identification isn't possible with the program we were using.
    Honk if you love Jesus.