Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Auto break-in

  1. #1
    gail
    Guest

    Auto break-in

    Woe is me! When I went out to my minivan at 4:30 this morning to go to the health club to do my water workout regimen, in the gloom of darkness, I found the window on the driver's side shattered and my GPS missing. I was so stunned. However, I guess that I'm lucky, as this is the first time in my life that my vehicle has ever been busted into, it doesn't make me feel better though. I live in a gated community, so I'm wondering if someone living here decided to help themselves to my toy. My car alarm wasn't activated either. I park in a well-lighted spot and I can see my van from my apartment. Never heard a thing. Scary!

  2. #2
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,793

    Re: Auto break-in

    Quote Originally Posted by gail
    Woe is me! When I went out to my minivan at 4:30 this morning to go to the health club to do my water workout regimen, in the gloom of darkness, I found the window on the driver's side shattered and my GPS missing. I was so stunned. However, I guess that I'm lucky, as this is the first time in my life that my vehicle has ever been busted into, it doesn't make me feel better though. I live in a gated community, so I'm wondering if someone living here decided to help themselves to my toy. My car alarm wasn't activated either. I park in a well-lighted spot and I can see my van from my apartment. Never heard a thing. Scary!
    Sorry to hear about this, Gail.... filthy maggot bastards. >

  3. #3
    gail
    Guest

    Re: Auto break-in

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    Quote Originally Posted by gail
    Woe is me! When I went out to my minivan at 4:30 this morning to go to the health club to do my water workout regimen, in the gloom of darkness, I found the window on the driver's side shattered and my GPS missing. I was so stunned. However, I guess that I'm lucky, as this is the first time in my life that my vehicle has ever been busted into, it doesn't make me feel better though. I live in a gated community, so I'm wondering if someone living here decided to help themselves to my toy. My car alarm wasn't activated either. I park in a well-lighted spot and I can see my van from my apartment. Never heard a thing. Scary!
    Sorry to hear about this, Gail.... filthy maggot bastards. >
    Thanks. Now that I am coming down I could just cry. I'm no longer angry, just sad. I canceled my subscription on the GPS, so if anyone tries to register it I will be notified. One interesting thing that I found out about the GPS though, is that it can't be tracked. A GPS can only receive signals, not send them. Interesting. Truth or fiction?

  4. #4
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,793

    Re: Auto break-in

    Quote Originally Posted by gail
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    Quote Originally Posted by gail
    Woe is me! When I went out to my minivan at 4:30 this morning to go to the health club to do my water workout regimen, in the gloom of darkness, I found the window on the driver's side shattered and my GPS missing. I was so stunned. However, I guess that I'm lucky, as this is the first time in my life that my vehicle has ever been busted into, it doesn't make me feel better though. I live in a gated community, so I'm wondering if someone living here decided to help themselves to my toy. My car alarm wasn't activated either. I park in a well-lighted spot and I can see my van from my apartment. Never heard a thing. Scary!
    Sorry to hear about this, Gail.... filthy maggot bastards. >
    Thanks. Now that I am coming down I could just cry. I'm no longer angry, just sad. I canceled my subscription on the GPS, so if anyone tries to register it I will be notified. One interesting thing that I found out about the GPS though, is that it can't be tracked. A GPS can only receive signals, not send them. Interesting. Truth or fiction?
    It depends. Think, for example, how cell phones are used to track people. Also, OnStar.

    These devices use similar technology. I think it comes down to whether the unit has a transponder in it or a unique signal that can be ID'd when it is being used....

  5. #5
    Administrator Ken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lincolnshire, United Kingdom.
    Posts
    3,468

    Re: Auto break-in

    Quote Originally Posted by gail
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    Quote Originally Posted by gail
    Woe is me! When I went out to my minivan at 4:30 this morning to go to the health club to do my water workout regimen, in the gloom of darkness, I found the window on the driver's side shattered and my GPS missing. I was so stunned. However, I guess that I'm lucky, as this is the first time in my life that my vehicle has ever been busted into, it doesn't make me feel better though. I live in a gated community, so I'm wondering if someone living here decided to help themselves to my toy. My car alarm wasn't activated either. I park in a well-lighted spot and I can see my van from my apartment. Never heard a thing. Scary!
    Sorry to hear about this, Gail.... filthy maggot bastards. >
    Thanks. Now that I am coming down I could just cry. I'm no longer angry, just sad. I canceled my subscription on the GPS, so if anyone tries to register it I will be notified. One interesting thing that I found out about the GPS though, is that it can't be tracked. A GPS can only receive signals, not send them. Interesting. Truth or fiction?
    Certainly as far as I am aware, Gail, my TomTom Rider can only receive signals. The only way it can output any data is if connected to a PC via the TomTom Home application. I believe your information is correct, unlike a mobile phone a GPS cannot be tracked.

    Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Raleigh NC, USA
    Posts
    3,628

    Re: Auto break-in

    Yup.
    Civilian GPS units are receive-only.

    Sorry to hear about your breakin. The sad part is that the glass will cost as much to replace as the GPS itself.


    Chip H.

    Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

  7. #7
    gail
    Guest

    Re: Auto break-in

    Quote Originally Posted by chiph
    Yup.
    Civilian GPS units are receive-only.

    Sorry to hear about your breakin. The sad part is that the glass will cost as much to replace as the GPS itself.


    Chip H.
    Fortunately I have full replacement insurance coverage. The window has been replaced already. Tomorrow I will take the van to the dealership to have the window tinted and detailed. Either tomorrow or the next day someone will show up with a new GPS and install it for me at my home. I won't leave the new one in the car though.

    I will probably worry for a few days over another break-in, and then the fears will fade and life will go on.

  8. #8
    Senior Member misterdecibel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Little Rock, Arkansas
    Posts
    3,408

    Re: Auto break-in

    I hate that feeling of being violated.

  9. #9
    gail
    Guest

    Re: Auto break-in

    Quote Originally Posted by misterdecibel
    I hate that feeling of being violated.
    me too. I keep looking out the window, twice during the night last night. This has really shaken my sense of security and my confidence that I can handle anything. I'm concern that they will return.

    I got ahead of my insurance company today, but all worked out to my advantage. I like to take my car to an approved Chrysler dealer, so off I trot the first thing this morning to get my laundry list of things done. So far the window has been replaced, and the tint was put on today, tomorrow the detailing, then I will have to wait for the appraiser to come over before they can do the rest. I'm not sure when the GPS person will appear, but both are set up to come to my home.

Similar Threads

  1. Clover jail break
    By grouch in forum The Daily Clover
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-02-2011, 09:58 AM
  2. I break the law everyday...
    By Eric in forum Fight Traffic Tickets/Driving Issues
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-27-2010, 02:26 PM
  3. These boys need to break out the Katana swords...
    By Eric in forum The Maggots...
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-09-2010, 08:40 PM
  4. UAW Guys Toke Up, Drink Up, On Break...
    By Mase in forum Motor Mouth
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-26-2010, 01:56 PM
  5. Does this make you want to break out the chain gun?
    By Eric in forum The Maggots...
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-25-2010, 11:43 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •