Bitch of a Switch

This right here is a bitch of a switch to find.

cherry_DC9_switch

It came out of my right side hand controls on my 1996 Harley Davidson Electra Glide Police Edition.  I have it rigged up to my spot light circuit.

Here is the manufacturer website:

I’m still waiting to here back from them.

I’ve taken apart all the hand control switches and am rewiring them and putting in new switches as well as running all new cables and lines.

15 comments for “Bitch of a Switch

1. Eric_G
    March 10, 2013 at 12:42 am

Do a Google search for “Roller Switch” and you should be able to find a suitable substitute.

Radio Shack carries this one in the stores, but I’m not sure if it’s the right size/shape and I’m sure not waterproof.

Good Luck!

• dom
      March 10, 2013 at 1:05 am

Thanks! Going to check it out. If I can find something that fits in the slot I’m straight.

• Eric_G
        March 10, 2013 at 1:37 am

Looking closer at your picture it might be that the switch you removed is a 2 piece unit. You might be able to remove the bottom section and find it is more like the standard sizes.

• dom
          March 10, 2013 at 2:30 am

It’s solid/molded/melted together.

There is a engraved diagram on this side:

——————
          1| 14| 2|

Other side:

CHERRY

NC NO C

2. dom
    March 10, 2013 at 7:36 pm

Found this over on Radio Shack. Looks like it might be a match as long as the holes line up.

Switch Subminiature Snap-Action SPDT 10-Amps

Switch

• ЯΞ√ΩLUT↑☼N
      March 10, 2013 at 11:38 pm

If the original is a momentary switch then I’d say it’s a good substitute providing it lines up ok.

• ЯΞ√ΩLUT↑☼N
      March 11, 2013 at 12:13 am

I forgot to add, your original is waterproof, the substitute isn’t. You might have to modify the protruding pressure tang as per your original.

3. BrentP
    March 11, 2013 at 12:22 am

It looks like a standard switch made by many companies. Try http://www.newark.com/ or http://www.digikey.com/

I might even have one of those in my junk pile. I have a couple sample boxes from a project at a previous employer.

• dom
      March 11, 2013 at 1:29 am

Nice websites, amazing actually! I’m sure they have it. I just need to locate it.

• BrentP
        March 11, 2013 at 1:47 am

I dug out the boxes, not right switch. They are three terminal switches.

From the spec it looks like they did a custom plunger for Harley. This is a common thing to do.

• BrentP
          March 11, 2013 at 1:48 am

In this case the lever arm not the plunger…. oops.

• dom
          March 11, 2013 at 1:57 am

I’ll use whatever I can get that fits. This will be inside a housing and protected half decent from the weather. The problem is I have these darn police housings I’m using (came with bike). Each side has one extra switch location at the bottom. I like for them to have a function.

• ЯΞ√ΩLUT↑☼N
            March 11, 2013 at 9:57 am

It won’t matter if the switch is a 2 or 3 terminal, as one is the common and the other 2 are connected to normally depressed and normally raised. A multimeter will sort that out.

The holes should fit laterally as these are a typical measurement across a wide range of switches.

I don’t know how to make it waterproof tho.. maybe if you could glue the small rubber cap off your old one to the pressure tip?

4. Ed
    March 11, 2013 at 12:30 pm

Allied may have something. Their search function is pretty good for cross-referencing:

5. dom
    March 12, 2013 at 1:56 am

Thanks for all the help guys! I ended up ordering the cheapo one from a knock off on ebay. Same type as the radio shack one. Ya’ll should see the back and forth email I had with the Cherry rep via email.